You choose your business name with care, and you should do the same with your website’s domain name, too. The domain name is just as important as your business phone number, and it can be a challenge to choose a good one. There are over a billion websites today. So, to find that perfect domain name will require some creative processes. Here we offer you some things to think about as you choose the domain name that will represent your business.
1) A Primary Keyword – Try to put a primary keyword in the name. Such as an electrician should have “electric” or “electrician” in their domain to make it easier for customers to find them online.
2) Geographic Marker – For a local business, the city name within the domain will get you found faster with local searches.
3) Easy to Type – Avoid those cute misspellings and slang. Like using “dezine” to replace “design”, or using “u” to replace “you.” These are phases that will disappear and your website will, too.
4) Short is Powerful – A shorter domain name is easy to remember and easy to share.
5) Hyphens and Underscores – Avoid them, they only make it confusing and difficult to be remembered.
6) Research and Study – Be sure that you don’t choose a domain name that has been taken or is too close to be considered infringement of existing copyrights or trademarks.
7) Register as Appropriate – Go with a top-level domains (TLDs) such as .com, .net, .co. Be sure that there isn’t any confusion between your business with other businesses in the same niche. If you own sallyglass.net, then buying sallyglass.com and sallysglass.co will ensure that one of your competitors can’t buy a domain that is similar.
8) Common Misspellings – If there are words within your domain that are frequently misspelled, consider registering them as well and have them redirected to your main domain.
If you still aren’t sure about a domain name, and you’re ready to get that website up and going, give us a call at Quantus Creative. We have a creative and technical team that can provide guidance to start you in the right direction.